How to use scent and sound to create a harmonious home

(ARA) – When you’re on the go and rushing around all day long there is nothing better than coming home to an orderly home. You may already have everyone in the family pitch in to keep the bills filed, backpacks off tables and toys off of the floor, but to create a home that goes beyond tidy to harmoniously organized, you might need some savvy tips from the pros.

HGTV designer and host of “Get It Sold” and “Real Estate Intervention,” Sabrina Soto, a master of creating stunning spaces, says that an organized home is more than meets the eye. To achieve true harmony in your home, the sights, scents and sounds must all be engaged. Home owners often focus on the visual decor throughout their home, but organizing your scents and sounds can also make a noticeable impact, helping you to achieve the sanctuary you desire.

Start by organizing the scents in your home. The best way to organize your home’s scent palette is to keep the number of scents streamlined. “I never have more than two scents in my house at any one time,” Soto says. “And whether floral, fruity or sweet, I make sure they have a similar base so they naturally complement each other.”

It’s easy to carry scents throughout your home when you buy products with coordinating scents. For instance, if you love the fresh scent of Gain, you can create scent harmony in your home by using the laundry products in the laundry room, air refreshers throughout the living spaces and Gain dishwashing liquid in the kitchen. Soto suggests another trick for infusing scent into multiple rooms of your home. “Tuck dryer sheets with the scent you favor in drawers and under cushions, or put your curtains in the wash to freshen them up.”

Having a scent-organized home can make shopping easier, too. Whether you do it yourself or send a family member, there’s no question about which products to pick up. Once you have that scent you love, Soto suggests sticking with it for a while. “Over time, you’ll create a signature scent that’s unique to your home,” Soto says. “I tell my clients to use scent as an accessory, like furniture, to help create an environment that reflects who you are.”

If your home looks good and smells good, you should also make sure that it sounds good. If you have guests coming over, choose music to suit the occasion. For a dinner party, choose something mellow but still lively enough to encourage conversation. For big celebrations like a birthday, anniversary or New Year’s Eve, don’t be afraid to go for louder volume and faster beats — you want to keep the energy high and the mood festive.

Create a master playlist ahead of time and have different music stations set up around the house playing the same playlist. You can load the songs onto a few MP3 players or burn a few CDs, and play them in the kitchen, bathroom and gathering spaces like the living room or deck.

Whether you’re expecting guests or just coming home from a long day at work, having a home that is filled with beautiful sights, sounds and smells will create a more harmonious atmosphere that everyone can enjoy. For more tips from Gain’s Home Scent Designer, Sabrina Soto, visit www.ilovegain.com or Gain’s official Facebook page.