BGMM marches for Macy’s fund

The Blue and Gold Marching Machine presses forward in their efforts to raise money for their performance in the 2012 Macy’s Day Parade in New York City. The band will march a 220 block, consisting of percussion and auxiliary. However, they will only have about one minute to perform a feature on the Macy’s star.

“Band members are still unaware of what Dr. Ruff has planned for the performance,” said senior journalism major Olivia Campbell, a clarinet player. “But knowing him and the history of the BGMM, it’s going to be an extravagant performance that people will be talking about for a while.” The parade will be held Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012.

The budget for the trip is $500,000. So far, $350,000 has been raised. There are several fundraisers to aid in covering the cost such as 52” flat screen TV raffle. Tickets are $1 each, and the drawing will be held the day of homecoming, Oct. 27. Band members are selling tickets. You can also visit McDonald’s or Quizno’s on Battleground Ave. to help the band reach their goal. McDonald’s will donate a percentage of their sales between 5pm-8pm on Sept. 20, Oct. 18 and Nov. 8 towards the Macy’s Parade fund. Quizno’s donates 10% of all sales to the BGMM from Aug. 15-Nov. 14.

The easiest donation method is The Text-to-Give Campaign. You can text “BGMM” to 50555 to make a $10 donation to the Macy’s Parade fund.

“I’m so excited about being a part of the Macy’s 2012 Thanksgiving Day parade,” said UNCG sophomore and French major Ashley Daugherty, a piccolo player. “We’ve been working really hard and have raised a lot of money.”

For more information regarding the fundraisers, visit the band’s website: www.marchingmachine.net; A&T’s website: www.ncat.edu and click “Give to A&T”; contact the band center at (336) 334-7776; or Contact Carletta Simmons, Director of Annual Giving at (336) 334-7600 or [email protected].

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter: @ATRegister

• Kayla Mclaughlin, Online Editor