Aggies defeat another FCS opponent by TyRel Thompson

Aggies overcome adversity as they knock off its third consecutive FBS foe.

The number 14 ranked North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University Aggies traveled to Greenville, NC, this past weekend, as they battled East Carolina University in a game to the wire.

The N.C. A&T football team had a lot of adversity to overcome despite being on a 13-game winning streak, and one of the Football Championship Division’s best teams.

Saturday, September 1st, at 6:00 p.m. was the initial date of the football game but, due to severe weather, the game delayed to Sunday, September 2nd, at 3:30 p.m.

The Aggies’ offense went off to a shaky start, moving the football, and had a total of just 9 yards (all rushing) in the first quarter.

Despite the offense not playing up to its expectations, the Aggies’ defense manned up and forced some key turnovers against ECU’s, air it out, offense.

A 100-yard interception return, by defensive back Mac McCain III (Sophomore), for a touchdown set the tone for the Aggies and changed the momentum at that point in the game. It was his second 100-yard interception return for a touchdown in his career.

“They were coming my way all game. I don’t mind them coming my way. The more they come my way the more plays I will make,” said McCain III.

By the end of the first half the Aggies’ offense had picked up the pace, and was able to move the ball down the field and into the end zone.

Quarterback Lamar Raynard (Redshirt Sr.) completed a 12-yard pass to wide receiver Zachary Leslie (Redshirt Sophomore) for a score with 0:06 seconds left on the clock, which the Aggies desperately needed.

Although the offense came alive late in the first half, the team was still plagued by penalties on both sides of the ball. A total of 11 penalties for 88 yards was crucial against the aggies in the first half.

Another key first half stat was that ECU had a total of 224 yards of offense. 180 of those yards were through the air by Pirate quarterback Reid Herring (Sophomore), who also threw two touchdown passes.

The momentum from the scoring drive on the Aggies’ last possession in the first half carried over into the second half. The offense was in motion and was able to move the ball down the field more fluently.

With 2:47 seconds left in the 3rd quarter Lamar Raynard left the game with a hand injury (cramps).

Quarterback Kylil Carter (Redshirt Sr.) subbed into the game and finished out the drive strong. Atop of the fourth quarter he threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to Zachary Leslie, which put the Aggies ahead of ECU, 21-20.

His play, in place of Raynard, was exceptional and the offense was electric with him on the field. Carter threw his second touchdown of the day with 7:05 left in the fourth to wide receiver Elijah Bell (Junior) for 17 yards giving the Aggies a 28-23 lead.

The defense cranked it up in the second half, allowing only 6 points (two field goals). And pressure applied against ECU quarterback Herring had sidelined him for a few plays, late in the fourth.

On the last possession of the game, just like a week before, the Aggie defense was left on the field to seal the deal. They did it, yet again, and on a deep pass to the end zone defensive back Timadre Abram (Redshirt Sr.) intercepted the ball as time expired.

The Aggies look for their 15th straight win against Gardner Webb University this weekend at BB&T Stadium in Greensboro, NC, on September 8th.