Greensboro Unity Walk celebrates cultures

The fifth-annual Unity Walk hosted by The FaithAction International House celebrated the diversity within Greensboro.

The FaithAction International House held its fifth annual community walk in downtown Greensboro where over 150 residents celebrated the many cultures of new arrivals and immigrants.

Over 20 years ago, FaithAction, a non-profit organization formed of a culturally diverse staff, began its efforts in the Greensboro community. The organization provides food, housing, health care and educational opportunities to Greensboro immigrants and refugees.

The Unity Walk released a statement on its event Facebook page.

“The past year has been a difficult one for many of our newest immigrants and refugee neighbors…Despite these challenging times, we remain committed to celebrating our diversity, and serving, loving and protecting our newest neighbors.”

With sponsorship from the Cone Health Foundation, Language Resources Center, and The Hayden-Harman Foundation attendees were able to eat, share experiences and learn about new cultures.

Along with FaithAction, other nonprofits of Greensboro including New Arrivals Institute, North Carolina African Services Coalition and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro Center for New North Carolinians (CNNC) promoted and organized the event.

The walk celebrated all of the different cultures within Greensboro while bringing awareness to the many issues immigrants face in today’s society. Several speakers, who are advocates for immigrants and refugees throughout the Nation, held an open dialogue with attendees.

“It just means there is absolutely hope and there are so many people that are working for the same cause,” said DJ Previtte, Unity Walk organizer.

Following the unity walk, a festival at LeBauer Park was held by a variety of immigration and refugee service agencies and nonprofits.

Newcomers with refugee status, usually war victims, are eligible for certain public services and assistance that aids them in the initial resettlement process. Other immigrants are eligible for very limited services, according to CNNC. Undocumented immigrants are eligible for almost no services except public schools, health, and emergency services.

In addition to the fifth year occurrence for the walk, the organizations have several programs and opportunities for immigrants.

Donations to the nonprofits are the most common method of contribution among non-immigrants. FaithAction also offers volunteer options, such as planning advocacy events, attending health care appointments and acting as an ambassador to the community on behalf of immigrants.

There are four main regions that contribute to the Guilford County community. These include Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union and the Caribbean.

As new arrivals continue to grow in local areas, organizations are allowing them to feel welcomed and prepared for a new life in the United States. The FaithAction International House hosts bi-monthly events that allow Greensboro residents to come together and learn the many cultures that form Greensboro.

If interested in volunteering, FaithAction hosts volunteer orientations and screenings for those who have the desire to help. For more information, FaithAction is located at 705 N Greene Street and to contact the organization at (336)-379-0037.