The New Year’s resolution you can easily keep: protecting your identity

(ARA) – Losing weight, eating better, building your savings – what will you resolve to do in 2011? While resolutions that improve your physical or financial health are worthwhile, you might consider adding a new pledge to your list of resolutions – a vow to better protect yourself from identity theft.

Recent statistics on identity theft facts show that one in every 10 Americans has already been a victim of identity theft. That means your chances of having your personal identifying or financial information stolen and misused is comparable to or greater than falling victim to some of the most common health problems in the U.S.

Just as improving dietary, exercise and financial habits can improve your overall wellbeing and security, resolving to do more to protect your identity in 2011 can reduce your risk of falling prey to one of the fastest growing and costly types of crime. The good news is that making lifestyle changes to protect your identity can be a lot easier – and quicker – than dropping a few pounds, working out more or spending less.

The Identity Theft Resource Center offers some tips for easily fulfilling your New Year’s resolution to arm yourself against identity theft:

Physical precautions

* Secure your Social Security card. This is as simple as getting it out of your wallet and storing it in a safe place, such as a safe deposit box.

* Secure your Social Security number. If a business asks for your SSN, quiz them on why they need it, who will have access to it, what they will do with it and what may happen if you decline to provide it. You should only be required to provide it for verifying identity for employment, establishing new lines of credit, participating in government benefit programs or for tax purposes.

* Before tossing them in the trash, shred documents that include personal identifying information, like account numbers, your SSN, birth date or medical numbers. Stolen paperwork and wallets account for nearly half of all identity theft, according to Javelin Strategy and Research.

* Invest in a locked mailbox and never leave outgoing mail to be picked up in your mailbox. That red flag that alerts the postal worker to stop at your mailbox also alerts potential identity thieves that checks or other valuable information may be waiting there to be stolen.

* Open bank and credit card statements the day they arrive in your mailbox, and review them immediately. This will help ensure you notice and correct any fraud right away.

Online measures

* Pay attention to passwords and the protection they afford your online activities. Make sure all your accounts have strong passwords (at least eight characters long and containing capital letters, numbers or special characters) and change them periodically. Passwords should be hard to guess – not easy, like your mother’s maiden name, your pet’s name or your kid’s birthday. A random word, not associated with you or your life, is best.

* Don’t share online personal information that you don’t want the world to see. Avoid accessing accounts from shared or public computers, such as those in a library, Internet cafe, workplace or cruise ship.

* Be cautious when shopping online. Check to be sure the merchant is legitimate and has their own security measures in place. Using a credit card to pay instead of a debit card, or paying through a secure payment agent, adds another layer of protection to your identifying information. Install security and malware software to protect your PC and update them frequently.

Another tactic to protect yourself from fraud risks is to carry identity theft insurance. Some identity monitoring products, like ProtectMyID.com, offer identity theft insurance. In addition to credit monitoring, alerts, and assistance from specially trained fraud resolution agents, ProtectMyID offers $1 million insurance to members as well. This insurance is provided through Chartis Inc, its subsidiaries or affiliates, and you’ll need to review the policy to understand the full terms, conditions and exclusions of the coverage. To learn more, visit www.protectymyid.com.

You may find it challenging to lose 10 pounds or fit an extra 30 minutes into your workout routine, but these simple identity theft protection steps will help you easily fulfill one of the most important New Year’s resolutions you can make for 2011.