What 1040 should you use? Finding the right tax preparation form

(ARA) – Does the IRS call its basic tax form a “1040” because another 1,039 tax-related forms are floating around out there?

While it’s unlikely that’s how the ubiquitous tax form got its name, making sense of all the forms that do exist – and there are a lot of them – can be pretty challenging. How do you know which form you should use when filing your taxes? Can you use the 1040EZ Form? Or do you need the 1040A? And who uses a 1040A? Can you do your own tax preparation? Or do you need to work with a paid tax preparer?

Even people who’ve worked in the tax field for decades will admit it’s virtually impossible to know everything about taxes – and tax laws change frequently. But deciding which basic form to use, and whether or not you need a tax preparer, is an essential first step that doesn’t have to be that difficult.

Here are some basic forms and who might qualify to use them:

1040EZ Form

Although calling any tax form “easy” might seem like a stretch to most of us, this form is probably as simple and straightforward as the IRS is capable of making it. The IRS says you can use the 1040EZ Form if you are single or married and filing jointly, have taxable income of less than $100,000; are younger than 65 and not blind, claim no dependants, and earned less than $1,500 in interest.

If you qualify to use the 1040EZ Form, you probably don’t need to pay a professional tax preparer to do your taxes.

1040A

When your tax preparation is slightly more complicated, you’ll need to use a different form than the 1040EZ. If your taxable income is still less than $100,000, but you have capital gains distributions, will claim certain tax credits or have IRA contributions or student loan interest that will adjust your income, you might be able to use the 1040A.

1040

Many reasons, including itemizing deductions, or taxable income that exceeds $100,000, can make it necessary for you to use the 1040 and various schedules that further explain to the IRS the information you’re submitting on your tax return. You’ll also need to use the 1040 if you report self-employment income, or had income from the sale of a property.

When their taxes are complicated enough to require using a 1040, many people turn to a paid tax preparer, like H&R Block. The IRS recommends you always use the simplest tax form that applies to your individual tax situation.