The life insurance paramedical exam: what you should know

If you’re considering life insurance, you may find that a paramedic examination is required prior to purchasing in order to determine your insurability.

For many, this is a daunting task. Not only do you need a physical, but your results will be analyzed and shared with a third party (your insurance company). The good news is that a paramedic exam is usually quick and easy, and there are ways to prepare to help you present your best picture of health.

Know how it works and what matters

Insurance companies outsource the physical examination to paramedic examiners in your area who will call to arrange the examination as soon as you apply for life insurance. The paramedic examiner meets you in a location of your choosing, completes the exam and then reports back their findings to the insurance company. The exact measures of your exam will depend upon your age, past health history, family history and the amount of insurance coverage you’re applying for.

During the exam, the paramedic may:

* Draw blood from your arm.

* Collect a urine sample.

* Determine your height and weight.

* Check your pulse and blood pressure.

* Complete an EKG (electrocardiogram).

Insurance companies are looking for a picture of your long-term health. Illnesses like HIV/AIDS, diabetes and cancer are red flags for many insurance providers because they increase the likelihood of a pay-out. That doesn’t mean that you’re uninsurable if you have a serious illness. Some companies do offer life insurance policies for individuals who have a serious illness. Those companies are called “high-risk” carriers.

The results of your physical are delivered back to the insurance company where they are evaluated in a process called underwriting. Underwriting determines whether or not you are a good candidate for life insurance. An “underwriter” is a person who is specially trained in evaluating risks of life insurance policy applicants and who assigns the “correct” rate classification.

Buy young

The older you are, the more extensive your medical exam will be. It’s possible to buy a life insurance policy without an exam at all, but the amount you can secure without a medical exam decreases greatly with age. For example, a 30-year-old may be able to purchase a $100,000 policy without an exam, but a 50-year-old who wants to purchase a policy without a medical exam may only be able to secure a $10,000 policy. Going this route for life insurance also almost guarantees that you’ll be paying higher premiums than if you went with a life insurance company that requires a medical evaluation.

Prepare

Exercise can reduce blood pressure and help you lose excess weight – two factors that determine your rate classification. If your exam results yield a policy recommendation that’s not ideal and you think blood pressure or weight might have factored into the decision, step up your exercise regimen and ask for another evaluation after you’re in better shape. Perhaps the best decision you can make for your health is the decision to quit smoking. Insurance companies see smokers as liabilities because those who smoke have a shorter life span and a higher risk of developing cancer or other life threatening illnesses. Quitting can not only add years onto your life and improve your health, it will ensure that your family is better protected should the worst occur.

Knowledge and preparation can be your best allies during the life insurance application process. Applying for life insurance with the understanding of how it works can help ease your worries and reduce stress.