Bougie Bus Chronicles: Word Editor Rides GTA

Laci OllisonWord Editor:

As a naturally independent person who loves to explore and travel, I rely heavily on my car. So when my car decided not to start one morning, I was devastated.

Not knowing many people in Greensboro, I struggled to find a reliable source who could properly diagnose my beloved car “Louise”. Being stubborn, I refused to rely on other people to take me from place to place. Luckily, school hadn’t started back yet, and my job was only a 20 minute walk away from my apartment.

As time went on, I still hadn’t found someone who would look at my car, and classes were starting the next day.

Knowing that I had a hectic schedule and would not be able to coordinate with anyone who could give me a ride, I made the decision to utilize the Greensboro Transit, seeing as how bus fare is deducted from our tuition anyways.

Taking the bus was not something that I wanted to do. In fact, I was dreading it. As I freshman, I took the bus all the time because I had to. But I’m not a freshman anymore.

Monday morning came, and I got up extra early to make sure that I had enough time to prepare myself for the experience that was upon me. I beat my face, grabbed my Michael Kors tote, and headed to the bus stop.

As the bus approached, my stomach turned. I could not believe that I was about to take the bus. Not only did I feel helpless, I felt proud; and not the good kind of proud. I felt the “I’m too bougie for this” kind of proud.

When I got on the bus, I found a secluded seat, placed my Beats by Dre over my ears, and eagerly waited for the bus to arrive at the Depot.

When the number two finally arrived at the Depot, I looked out the window in amazement. What I saw changed my entire outlook  on public transportation.

Standing on the many platforms waiting for various buses to arrive, I saw people. I saw real, authentic people from all different walks of life. Men in construction uniforms, women in fast food uniforms, mothers with children, and even fellow college students waited patiently for their connecting routes to take them to their final destination.

As I looked around and observed the many GTA patrons, a new feeling overtook me. It was shame. Here I was, upset because my car wasn’t working when I was surrounded by people who don’t have cars at all. Before me stood hard-working people who rely on public transportation to take them to their jobs just to earn a basic living.

I’m not stuck up, and I try my best to be humble and considerate of my many blessings. However, my two and a half weeks of riding the bus served as a wakeup call; humility is an area in which I could use some improvement.

I don’t drive the best car and I am not the richest, but I can definitely say that I am very blessed. I have more than some people in this city have. I am earning a college education, I have an apartment, and I now have a working car. Needless to say, I no longer take my blessings for granted. Riding GTA helped me gain a new perspective on life and made me remember just how truly blessed I am.