Engaged couples planning for the future and saving money

Valentine’s Day means romance, love – and maybe even a marriage proposal. Many couples are dreaming about the life they will have together, living in the same house, perhaps having children one day and how they will enjoy the time they have together.

Some of these dreams for most couples may be just that – dreams. But couples can work together on many aspects of combining households to help make their marriage a dream come true.

A good plan for couples prior to the wedding is to talk about finances. Will either of you be bringing debt into the marriage? Do your spending habits match up, or will both of you need to make some adjustments? What kind of lifestyle can you afford with your joined incomes and living habits?

While figuring out spending habits and how you can join your financial interests together is a personal choice for every couple, here are some tips engaged couples can use to save money when they get married:

* Combine insurance policies – Putting all your insurance policies under one company can help you save big. For example, if you and your spouse-to-be have separate auto insurance policies, potentially a joint renter’s or homeowner’s insurance policy, and life insurance policies, combining them together at the same firm when you get married may provide you with an overall discount – which could be much less than what you are paying on all individual policies total.

In addition, your car insurance specifically may also be discounted once you get married, which can add additional savings back into your pocket.

* Check your W4 forms – Many couples decide to file taxes jointly when they get married. But if you were both working prior to the wedding and paying income taxes individually, it might be a good idea to review your W4 tax forms together to make sure the amount of money you have withheld from each paycheck will make tax time in April a much more pleasant experience.

* See if you qualify for couple’s discounts – Many organizations offer couple and family rates that are lower than paying for two individual rates, so review your gym memberships, your cell phone plans – even membership fees you may pay to nonprofit organizations – to see if you and your spouse-to-be can receive discounts by joining your memberships when you get married.

The period of engagement can be a lot of fun with all the planning that is involved, and if you and your spouse-to-be can figure out ways to save money – it makes it all the better of an experience.