Recession’s silver lining: The opportunity to regain control of your finances

(ARA) – If you’re one of the millions of Americans hit hard by the recession, it may be difficult to imagine anything good coming out of the country’s financial problems of the past few years. But experts and studies agree: Many of us are turning difficult times into an opportunity to regain control over our financial lives.

The change in how Americans think about money is becoming more apparent. When asked what they would do with an unexpected additional $500, 68 percent of those surveyed in a TD Ameritrade poll said they would invest the money, while only 19 percent said they would spend it.

“As a result of the Great Recession, people are anxious about when economic recovery might happen, and many are looking to take control of their financial futures,” says Peter Sidebottom, executive vice president of product and marketing at TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation. “People are beginning to recognize the value of eliminating debt, but there is still a big need to focus on saving for retirement. It’s important to find a way to control debt while saving.”

If you’re looking to take control of your financial future, you’re not alone. With a new focus on reclaiming control of their finances, many Americans are implementing smarter financial management habits in their lives, including:

* Reducing credit card debt – A study by Experian found that consumers are opening 26 percent fewer credit cards than they did three years ago, implying they are more aware of their credit scores and the need to pay down debt. Carrying high balances on credit cards can be costly in the long-term since credit card interest rates and fees are notoriously high. Having maxed out credit cards can also negatively impact your credit score, even if you make regular payments every month.

* Increasing savings – In 2008, personal savings rates held at 4.1 percent, but over the last two quarters of 2010 it has risen to an average of 5.7 percent, according to data from the U.S. Treasury Department. Experts advise families should have enough cash saved to cover several months of living expenses.

* Looking to learn – More Americans are looking to learn about sound financial management, and are seeking advice from advisors and online resources. Understanding the economy and how it impacts their finances, learning savings techniques and retirement planning tactics can help Americans feel and become more financially secure.

Many people have turned to the Internet to find advice and guidance on how to get their finances in order. With an increasing number of articles on popular finance websites, blogs by financial coaches, and even non-traditional formats such as an online reality series, Americans are finding direction – and an understanding that they’re not alone.

The Invested Life,” an online reality series sponsored by TD Ameritrade and co-developed by MSN, Generate and Ogilvy Entertainment, features real people facing life’s most common financial decisions and hurdles. The subjects are paired with independent financial experts who help them take control of their finances and address issues such as debt management, college savings, retirement planning, taxes, real estate and smart investing. The Invested Life comprises more than 450 videos, news stories, tools, cast blogs and community forums to help viewers learn from the experiences of the cast members. Viewers can match their personal investment styles to the cast members they most relate to.

“By watching how real people, who share common financial questions, learn to address their financial concerns and reclaim control of their finances, viewers may find the encouragement and resources to tackle their own financial hurdles,” Sidebottom says.

You can find episodes of “The Invested Life,” an introduction to online investment and financial planning tools, advice from independent financial experts, and blog postings from cast members at TheInvestedLife.msn.com.