Swimming Enters Its Final Season

This 2015-2016 season will go down in history as the final season for the Lady Aggies swim team.

The Program has been around for eighteen years dating back to 1998. Current head coach, Shawn Hendrix, has been the coach since 1999. Hendrix was recently asked about her experience as the long-term coach of the team. “It’s been a wonderful experience working with the different groups of women that I have” she said.

“Our goals for this season are to break our own personal records and school records; and to leave a positive legacy behind.”

Their mission for the season compliments their new adopted slogan: “The Last of a Dying Breed”.

Co-captain of the team and senior biology student, Aarica Carrington said “I want to go into this season with no regrets. I want to be able to look back on this season and say that I gave everything that I could possibly give and came as far as I could go.”

Carrington, one of six seniors on the team specializes in butterfly and freestyle strokes had inspiring remarks about her experience swimming on the team: “I really enjoy swimming at N.C. A&T. It gives me a good vibe being around young African-American women who share the same love of the sport that I do. It feels like we are a part of a legacy and we want to do it right.” As of right now N.C. A&T is one of two HBCU’s with a swim team along with Howard University. After this season, Howard will be the only HBCU swim team left in the nation.

Jordan Alford – Contributor

—Email Jordan at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ theatregister