Wireless and office supplies: Savings advice for small businesses

As a small business owner, you’re probably acutely aware of the need to control big costs, like rent or inventory. It’s also important to keep a lid on more mundane costs. Expenses like office supplies and wireless service can chip away at your profits, too.

Managing expenses for items you use every day – from printer paper and ink to wireless Internet and mobile phones – doesn’t have to be difficult. Make it a habit to follow these tips for controlling the cost of office supplies and wireless service, and you’ll be able to put cash back in your pocket every month.

First, consider using a credit card. This not only allows you to defer payments – and keep money in your pocket longer – it also adds a layer of protection if your purchase turns out to be defective or is lost during shipping. If you use a credit card that offers you a cash rebate, like SimplyCash from American Express OPEN, you can even get money back. SimplyCash gives 5 percent cash back for office supplies and wireless services and has no annual membership fee.

Buying office supplies:

* Review your supply bills for the past few months and make a list of the items that you purchase most frequently and use the most. Approach office supply vendors and let them know you want to make a bulk purchase of these items — and see if they offer bulk discounts.

* Where you buy office supplies can make a big difference. Online sellers and wholesale clubs often offer very competitive prices. Plus, many online sellers will waive shipping fees for large orders.

* Order only what office supplies are needed. Post a list in a public area of your office and have employees jot their needs on it throughout the month. Ordering this way allows you to be sure you’re only getting what is really needed, and makes it easier to keep track of how much you spend on office supplies in a month.

Wireless service

Wireless service has become as essential to conducting business as computers. If you’ve had the same service for years and not revisited its terms, or if you use your personal mobile for business use, you might be able to save some money by examining the terms of service. Also, choose a cash rebate card, like SimplyCash that gives you money back on monthly wireless service.

* If you’ve been with the same plan long enough to be off contract, comparison shop for better rates and plans – and let your current carrier know you’re looking. They may offer you a better plan than your current one in order to keep your business.

* Be aware of the differences in personal and business plans. For example, a personal plan that provides free minutes during times when you won’t be doing business – such as after 9 p.m. or on weekends – may not be right for your business needs. And a plan that charges you to check voicemail or limits your data use could cause you to wind up with hefty overage charges every month.

* Finally, every cellular carrier provides a feature on your phone that allows you to track minutes used. Set a reminder for yourself to check your usage every month toward the end of the month. This way, you’ll know if you are near your limit and possibly facing overage charges.