Five ways to make filling out your tax forms easier

Unless you’re a paid tax preparer, it’s likely you’ll never say “Oh goody! It’s tax season.” Preparing your tax return is not easy, even if you’re just filing a 1040 EZ, the “simplest” form available. On top of the fear that you’ll wind up owing a bundle, there’s the stress of possibly making a mistake that could get you into serious trouble with the IRS.

But you can reduce some of the stress of tax season by being well prepared for your income tax preparation chores. Before you sit down with a tax form, take these five steps:

1. Get organized.

Starting Jan. 1, tax forms will begin arriving in your mailbox, from your W-2 to interest statements. Gather them all in one place – a large envelope, a folder, a three-ring binder or even a cigar box. Add in all the receipts you saved from last year. Having all your tax paperwork in one place will mean you don’t have to stress looking for everything when it’s time to actually fill out your tax forms.

2. Check out an online tax calculator.

Tax calculators are very easy to use and can give you a good estimate of how much of a refund you’ll receive, or how much you will owe. You’ll need your W-2 (which employers are obligated by law to provide to you no later than Jan. 31), totals for any other sources of income you had last year, and an idea of your deductible expenses such as mortgage interest, child care expenses and charitable donations. Follow the steps and plug this information into the income tax calculator as it prompts and within minutes you’ll know if it’s worth filing your taxes in February to speed up receiving your refund – or wait to file and pay what you owe on April 15.

3. Educate yourself.

Even if you’re going to pay someone else to do your taxes for you, it pays to have at least a basic understanding of tax codes. If you’ve never visited the IRS site before, it’s time to log on to www.irs.gov. The IRS offers plenty of free advice and education about its tax codes, and you’ll find a wealth of information on the website.

4. Get online.

Tax calculators aren’t the only tax preparation tools on the Internet. Free tax preparation software is everywhere on the Internet, and it can make filing your taxes much easier. Most programs will walk you through the filing process, although if you have a lot of itemized deductions or unusual income circumstances, it may be hard to find a program that will address all that. But if your taxes are relatively straightforward, preparing them online can save you lots of time, frustration and the expense of paying someone else to do your taxes for you. Plus, most programs will allow you to e-file your return, which means you’ll get your refund much faster than someone who waits for the mail.

5. Prepare for next year.

It’s never too early to start planning for 2011 tax season. Talk to a financial planner or accountant for advice on how to better organize your finances this year to minimize your tax burden next year. For example, if you wound up owing the federal government a bundle for 2010, your accountant might advise you to have your company’s payroll take extra money out of your paycheck to cover next year’s taxes.