‘Formation’ Continues to Catch Controversy

Beyoncé shocked the world when she dropped her surprise album on December 13, 2013. Two days before the Super Bowl, Beyoncé shocked the world once again with a song and a video that spoke volumes to the African-American community.

Her new single, “Formation” speaks on black empowerment. The complimenting video adds a vibrant and dynamic visual to a liberating and celebratory song.

The video references the Black Lives Matter movement via symbolism and even comments on the mistreatment of blacks in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with the pop star on top of a New Orleans Police car, sinking into flood water. The video, shot in New Orleans, features sensational imagery of spray paint on a wall which reads “Stop Shooting Us.”

Beyoncé stated during an interview after her Super Bowl performance that “she wanted people to be proud love for themselves.”

Many viewers and Beyoncé fans (which are referred to as the Beyhive) swarmed the internet with excitement. However, not everyone was pleased with the megastar’s performance.

Many people found Beyoncé’s performance to be uncouth and racist. A select few suggested to boycott Beyoncé because of the cruel messages in her song and video. Police officers and families called the performance seditious, saying the singer is promoting an “anti-cop” message across the nation. Someone even started a “Boycott Beyoncé” Facebook page.

The foolery never ended on social media concerning Beyoncé’s performance. She was called racist, stupid, among many other things for taking a chance and doing a performance as such.

It seems as if the message of “Formation” has been greatly misinterpreted. Despite the negative response from some, a large population appreciate the piece which addresses serious issues in the African-American community. The strength of the song’s message hit even harder since it was released and per- formed during Black History Month.

Though “Formation has been interpreted in various way, I believe that Beyoncé is enforcing self-love into the minds of listeners. She is promoting blackness in a way that allows listeners to accept features and aspects that general society does not normally accept.

• Brodrick Williams – Conributor