Throw ’em a bone!

A new feature column where we will discuss the top performances of the week in the sports world. We will applaud the efforts of these individuals or teams by throwing them a bone!

1. Patrick Mahomes II, in his sophomore season at the tender age of 23, seems to be leading a very early MVP race. Through two games this season, Mahomes has thrown 10 touchdowns and no interceptions which is an NFL record. Making this a big deal because the hall of Famers such as Brett Favre, Joe Montana, John Elway, and others have accomplished this feat. Mahomes has only appeared in three regular season games in his career, which all have been on the road. His first start, his rookie season in week 17, Mahomes played the Denver Broncos, in Denver, and lead his team to a victory. Two games into the 2018 season he has already beat a division rival in the LA Chargers and a perennial playoff team in the Pittsburgh Steelers. Mahomes is proving to be every bit as good as, general manager, Brett Veach claimed him to be after promoting him to the starter. Our first bone will be thrown to Patrick Mahomes!
  2. Naomi Osaka, lost in the fray between an athletic icon and an umpire will be receiving the second bone of the week. She is the 2018 U.S Open Champion. Osaka defeated Serena Williams 6-2, 6-4 in straight sets to become the first Japanese tennis player to win a major. Osaka despite being the winner, seemed to be overshadowed and overlooked by the umpire and Williams as they argued a call that resulted in a game point being lost for Williams. It was due to Williams slamming her racket and looking into the stands for coaching. Osaka was then showered by boos, during the championship coronation, where Williams told the crowd to calm down and not ruin the moment. Overall, Osaka played well as the #20 seed in the tournament and beat an icon. This is why we are throwing her a bone. Well done!
  3. Ryan Fitzpatrick aka “FitzMagic,” has returned. If you do not remember,  this is not the first time we have seen “FitzMagic.” Fitzpatrick was awarded a six-year $59 million contract by the Bills in the 2011 season.  After he threw for 3,000 yards and 23 touchdowns in 2010. He led the Jets to a 10-6 record and holds the record for most touchdowns by a Jets quarterback in franchise history with 31. At age 35, and on the seventh team of his career, he has brought an early season excitement to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who are 2-0 for the first time in 8 years. All of this without former number one overall pick, Jameis Winston who is suspended until after week 4. Fitzpatrick has over 800 yards and 8 touchdowns in two games against very quality opponents including the New Orleans Saints, who were a playoff team and the reigning Super Bowl champions the Philadelphia Eagles. On pace to win 10+ games for the second time since 2010, the rejuvenated Buccaneers look promising behind Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, O.J. Howard, and the career backup quarterback Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick is the second string quarterback every team wishes they had. He definitely has “FitzMagic.”  Hopefully, we can throw this bone as accurate as he does!