N.C. A&T cuts ribbon on New Student Center

Jamar Plunkett
Vandergrift and the Chancellor cut ribbon New Student Center.

After years of awaiting the New Student Center, the ribbon-cutting ceremony has displayed how the new building has come to fruition. The New Student Center will officially be open on Thursday, Sept. 27, at 7:00 a.m.

The ceremony included a program of esteemed guests as well as student leaders for the campus.

Carl Baker, executive director of the Student Center opened the ceremony.  During his opening, Baker outlined three main interest that students desired from the New Student Center. These desires include more dining spaces, meeting rooms, and lounge areas.

The ceremony consisted of student leaders DreShaun Jarmon and Delaney Vandergrift. Vandergrift publicly thanked civil engineering alumni Christian Stowe, and Jarmon displayed the essentialism of having an active student center.

“Like the heart, the student center will become one of the most important locations of campus,” said Dreshaun Jarmon, senior management information system student and SUAB President.

More speakers of the ceremony included Chancellor Harold L. Martin Sr., Board of Trustees Chair, Timothy King, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Melody Pierce and Associate Vice Chancellor of Business and Finance-Facilities, Andrew M. Perkins Jr.

The New Student Center dining options

• Chick-fil-a
  • Subconnection
  • Aggie Wings – will begin serving fried chicken and waffles, boneless wings and mozzarella sticks.
  • Starbucks
  • Marketplace Dining – alternative option to Williams Dining Hall
  • 1891 Bistro
  • Einstein Brothers Bagel Shop
  • 1891 Bistro – will offer several appetizers, burgers, sandwiches and salads.

The building includes over 18 meeting spaces.

• Students will have access to Blue Rooms for their studying needs. The area gets its name from the primary blue color used in the design of the space. Private study rooms can also be reserved

Lounging areas are found all throughout the facility.

Lounging areas along the side of the stairs are provided for students to congregate. Lounging areas are a significant part of the design of the New Student Center. Lounging areas are provided throughout the first floor.

“We did this to create synergy as everything is intentional,” said Baker.

First floor

Entering the building on the first level, the open space of the atrium is the first sight by visitors. At the center of the atrium is the bright, gold Monumental Stairway. Multimedia boards, as well as the information desk, is included.

“We created a very open space where students can see and be seen,” said Baker.

Recreational and Gaming Rooms were implemented. Students will be able to shop on the first floor of the Barnes & Noble Bookstore, which will also include a Starbucks cafe.

Second floor

The second floor offers an abundance of areas for lounging, meeting, and studying. The second floor includes the second level of the bookstore where textbooks will be located.

• The Aggie OneCard office will be located on the second floor in room 242.
  • The Ballroom  can be used in its entirety or split into two separate rooms. The ballroom also provides access to a balcony.

Third floor

• The third floor is mainly filled with office spaces.
  • The Office of Student Activities office will provide rooms and spaces for student use. The Council of Presidents and the National-Panhellenic Council have meeting spaces within this office.
  • The Student University Activities Board has an office suite provided to them.
  • The Student Government Association has their own office suite as well. SGA President, Delaney Vandergrift will be provided her own office within this suite.

As of now, there is no official name for the New Student Center building. Naming opportunities are present for the Central Lounge, Quite Lounge, Electronic Gaming Room, Billiards Room, Ballroom, Terraces, Small Meeting Rooms, Large Meeting Rooms, Large Multipurpose Room, Meditation Room, Multicultural Center and Director’s Suite Conference Room.

If interested in naming, contact University Advancement at 336-334-7600.

“There is nothing more important than the student experience here at N.C.  A&T and we know that this building is going to enhance that experience beyond our expectations,” said Vandergrift.