Kavanaugh’s Fitness to Serve

We currently live in a heated political climate where the intentions of President Donald Trump’s administration are questioned every day.

Since his inauguration, Trump has shown how questionable his morals are. With the Trump administration constantly going through many changes, one new member has sparked concern for not only Democrats but also Republicans.

Just a few months ago, former Justice Anthony Kennedy announced he would be retiring after being a part of the Supreme Court for more than 30 years.

This gave Trump a chance to nominate his own pick for the Supreme Court which gives Republicans a huge advantage. In July, Trump nominated federal judge Brett Kavanaugh as his choice to replace Kennedy’s seat on the Supreme Court.

Looking from the outside in, Kavanaugh would seem to be a great pick and be a victory for the conservative party.

But who is he, and why is this nomination creating so much news?

Kavanaugh – a former aide to former President George Bush – has a long history with the Republican party.

In 1998, Kavanaugh played a large role in initiating the impeachment of former president Bill Clinton. This impeachment was formed after sexual harassment claims were filed against Clinton by several women. Kavanaugh helped in investigating and insinuating Clinton would be impeached.

During his confirmation process of becoming Justice of the Supreme Court, a woman named Christine Ford came forward with her own claim that Kavanaugh tried to rape her in the 1980s.

Kavanaugh argued this claim, according to White House spokesperson Kerri Kupec “Brett Kavanaugh has been clear from the beginning — he categorically and unequivocally denies this allegation [..],”

Ford claims Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were 17 years old and in high school. She states Kavanaugh and one of his friends “corralled” her in a bedroom at a house party in the 80s.  

With the #MeToo movement exposing sexual assault/harassment at an increasing rate, this claim has sparked a major concern. This has led to an investigation on Kavanaugh and what happened on the night of the alleged assault.

Ford – who will appear in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee next week – will publicly talk about her ordeal with Kavanaugh. She also took a polygraph test conducted by a former FBI agent which confirmed she is telling the truth.

The debate now is should there be a delay on Kavanaugh’s vote considering Ford’s story.

This case reminds many people of the Anita Hill case 27 years ago, in which the Supreme Court failed to take claims of sexual harassment seriously. Attorney Anita Hill accused 1991 Supreme Court Justice nominee, Clarence Thomas, of sexual harassment.

Many people think Ford will have the same fate as Hill, as she was publicly shamed and called a liar while Marshall was largely believed.

This case is important for so many reasons. One reason being, it would be a fail for the Supreme Court to now take a stand on women’s rights. Also, if Kavanaugh is cleared on this charge, it gives republicans more power in the Supreme Court.

However, it mostly shows a detachment between what the American people needs and the government as it stands now.