Who’s In?

Who%E2%80%99s+In%3F

With the College Football season heading into its Sixth week, the College Football Playoffs race is very close.

In the current rankings, the first seven teams are 5-0. We are only a month and a half away from selection Sunday and fans across the nation are wondering which four teams will participate in this year’s playoffs.

The number one ranked Alabama Crimson Tide (5-0) have been very impressive thus far. Led by Sophomore sensation Tua Tagovailoa, the Tide are destroying every opponent in its path.

“You have not seen the best of us yet, come November you will witness a championship team,” said by head coach Nick Saban.

Alabama is scheduled to play two SEC rivals next month in the number five ranked Louisiana State University Tigers (5-0) and the eighth-ranked Auburn University Tigers (4-1).

After giving up a fourth-quarter lead in last year’s BCS National Championship game, the number two ranked University of Georgia Bulldogs is seeking redemption this year. Not to mention, Georgia arguably had the best recruiting class of 2018. With a current record of 5-0, Georgia has yet to have a true competitive matchup.  In two weeks they are set to face the LSU Tigers and the University of Florida Gators (4-1).

Moving to the Big Ten Conference, the Ohio State University Buckeyes (5-0) are on fire. After defeating Penn State University (4-1) last week, the Buckeyes move to number three in the top 25 rankings.

“The four-game suspension of Coach Urban Meyer was not a distraction for the team at all. All that matters is that he is back,” said Quarterback Dwayne Haskins.

The Buckeyes are seeking to make their third trip to the playoffs, but with notable games against the University of Michigan (4-1) and Michigan State University (3-1)  approaching, can the Buckeyes stay in the top four?

In the ACC, Clemson University (5-0) has been the talk of the nation in recent weeks. Last month quarterback Kelly Bryant decided to transfer after losing the starting spot to freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

In addition, Lawrence was taken out of last week’s game against Syracuse University (4-1), due to concussion-like symptoms. He is expected to return this week. The Tigers are currently ranked number four in the nation; although, the ACC is not an easy ride to the playoffs.

Notable teams with strong playoff contentions outside of the top four are LSU, Oklahoma, and the Notre Dame.

After LSU’s big win against the University of Miami (4-1) in the first game of the season, the Tigers have not looked back. The Tigers look to continue their winning streak against Florida this week.

With the departure of Heisman Trophy Winner, Baker Mayfield, many fans thought Oklahoma would be in the rebuilding phase, but with the rise of quarterback Kyler Murray, the Sooners look to be making another playoff push.

Lastly, the Fighting Irish are looking like a perennial threat to make a playoff push. After last year’s nightmare season, Notre Dame has been very impressive with key wins against Stanford University (4-1) and Michigan.

As the season intensifies the selection committee has a lot to consider on selecting the teams for the playoffs.

View Comments (1)