Rap Culture: Diss Tracks

Rap Culture: Diss Tracks

Rap is a popular genre now, and it is growing more as time progresses.

With a plethora of artists who have different views, backgrounds, and lifestyles, someone is bound to have a problem or disagreement with someone else.

In the rap industry, artists deal with “beef” – or feuds – in a number of ways: Twitter fingers or trigger fingers, and they may even hit them up in person just for everyone to hear about on TMZ. But sometimes they use their craft to battle it out.

Diss tracks are a staple in the rap game by adding even more competition to the battle to take over the rap genre.

Rappers hit the studio with the intention to tear someone down with a song and sometimes they’ll put out diss tracks back to back giving the fans a bunch of new material from their favorite artists. Some diss tracks even go down in rap history.

“Ether” by Nas is one of the most memorable diss tracks ever. Ether was made during his beef Jay-Z. He made Ether as a response to Jay-Z’s track “Takeover”.

It was one of the best rap feuds in the rap industry and it is still talked about today. The debate between Takeover vs Ether has never really been settled even when the beef ended with Jay-Z and Nas.

Another notable diss track is “No Vaseline” by Ice Cube. The track was a direct shot at Ice Cube’s former group members in N.W.A.  and their manager after they took shots at him after his departure from the group in 1989.

Ice Cube used his bars to dismantle the group and it was an overall great song too. No Vaseline basically told N.W.A. that they were getting played by their manager at the time with a line saying “Cause you’re getting f*cked out your green, By a white boy, with no vaseline.”

Ice Cube said in an interview with Big Boy “It’s such a crucial part of the history..uhm..because..you know after that song NWA was really starting to break up.”

Not all disses rappers made weren’t always about other rappers.

Eminem had a long feud with Mariah Carey and this feud would bring us the diss “The Warning”.   In the early 2000s, there were rumors that Eminem and Mariah Carey had been a thing.

Mariah denied ever being with the rapper in which he responded with his diss titled “The Warning”.

The Warning is basically a diss at Mariah and Nick Cannon, who was Mariah’s husband at the time, telling him all the horrible things he thought of Mariah and more personal things that probably shouldn’t have been said.

It was a warning to Mariah that he would put out everything he had between them which was stated in a line “It’s a warning shot, ‘fore I blow up your whole spot, Call my bluff and I’ll release every f*cking thing I got.” Some people still debate about this beef today.

Probably the most notable diss track that everyone knows has to be “Hit ‘Em Up” by 2Pac.

The diss has gone down in history as one of the best diss tracks the rap game has ever seen. The diss was directed at the Notorious B.I.G. and his crew.

The diss was very direct with Pac making threats, insulting, and really just tearing B.I.G. and anyone associated with him down.

No one was safe in this diss and it is always brought up in the conversation of the best diss ever.

There are much greater diss tracks that weren’t mentioned but it’s proven that diss tracks are something that the rap game needs and that it’s not going anywhere soon.