Aggies nail 52-yard field goal for win against Elon

Back to Article
Back to Article

The N.C. A&T Aggies faced the Elon Phoenix on Aug. 31, 2019.
Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

The N.C. A&T Aggies faced the Elon Phoenix on Aug. 31, 2019. Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

Jarod Hamilton, theSCORE Editor

• From left to right: Quarterback Kylil Carter, graduate; wide receiver Elijah Bell, senior; defensive line Justin Cates, graduate; offensive line Marcus Pettiford, red shirt senior. Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

• The Aggies and Phoenix face off during the coin toss. Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

• Wide receiver Elijah Bell, senior, faces Elon defensive back Daniel Reids-Bennett on Aug. 31, 2019. Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

• N.C. A&T Aggies versus Elon Phoenix | Aug. 31, 2019 Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

• Running back Jah-Maine Martin, red shirt junior, avoids tackle by Elon lineback Jamir Malone, sophomore. Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

• Quarterback Kylil Carter, graduate, throws football. Jamar Plunkett | Photography Editor | The A&T Register

Styles make fights. That is exactly what the Aggies were in when they took on the no. 21 ranked school in the FCS the Elon Phoenix in the Aggies season opener. 

It was a scoreless first quarter until the 1:41 mark when the Elon Pheonix scored on a five-yard rushing touchdown. 

After that, the Aggies dominated for the rest of the first half.

The Aggies scored early in the second quarter with a one-yard rushing touchdown to tie the game up 7-7. 

Quarterback Kylil Carter, a graduate, threw a back-shoulder fade that senior wide receiver Elijah Bell caught with one hand while being heavenly defended to bring the score to 14-7. 

With the touchdown, Bell became N.C. A&T’s all-time leader in reception touchdowns. 

The Aggies ended the half with back-to-back sacks to close out the half but the Phoenix came out with guns blazing after halftime.

Elon capped a 75-yard drive with a rushing touchdown by De’Sean McNair for his second of the night. 

After a scoreless third quarter by both teams, N.C. A&T got the ball back with 25 seconds and no timeouts left.

This set junior kicker Noel Ruiz up for a 52-yard field goal attempt for the win. Ruiz missed two prior field goals in the fourth quarter (46 yards, 41 yards) but completed his last attempt of the game when the clock read triple zeroes. 

The Aggies won by a final score of 24-21.

N.C. A&T will look to take this momentum going into Durham as they will face the Duke Blue Devils on September 6, the first of a three-game road trip for the Aggies.