NCCU dominates on both sides of the ball to beat N.C. A&T in 100th anniversary

North Carolina Central (NCCU) beat N.C. A&T 28-13 for the first time since 2016. Central controlled the time of possession on offense which proved to be the difference in this game. 

Central set the tone early, controlling and running down the clock. The Eagles first possession ended with a QB sneak touchdown by junior Quarterback Davius Richard.

The Aggies did not have the same start to the game. N.C. A&T started off with a quick three-and-out. However, the Aggies were able to bounce back with a quick drive to tie the game 7-7. 

Redshirt freshman Zach Yeager got the start and showed early flashes of his talented arm. He threw a 55-yard Touchdown in the 1st quarter. 

Nevertheless, the Aggies weren’t able to put together another drive that ended with a TD.  Yeager threw a interception late in the 3rd which sinked A&T.

Yeager was able to lead one last promising possession in the 4th quarter, marching all the way down to the redzone. Unfortunately for the Aggies, the offense was not able to convert on 4th down when A&T needed it most. 

Central also remained very disciplined throughout the entirety of the game. Central didn’t commit any turnovers which limited A&T offensively. 

The Aggie defense struggled all night to stop the Eagles from moving the chains. Central had a answer for every look A&T threw at them. 

Although both teams committed 7 or more turnovers, Central was able to bounce back better than the Aggies. 

A&T still leads the all-time series 53-36-5.

N.C. A&T will head to North Dakota State on Saturday Sept. 10, at 3:30 pm. The Aggies look to bounce back and get their first win of the season.