Aggie Football Looks for Redemption in Their 2022 Home Opener

The+crowds+looking+at+the+2019+GHOE+Football+Game+
The crowds looking at the 2019 GHOE Football Game

With a rough start to the season, N.C. A&T’s football program will face the 2021 Celebration Bowl champions next, the South Carolina State University Bulldogs.

There is one wish the Bulldogs have, and that is to end the Aggies’ six-game winning streak against them. With a series dating back to 1924, South Carolina State currently leads 33-22. In the most recent contest, N.C. A&T defeated the Bulldogs in a tight and thrilling game by a score of 27-17.

In their Saturday matchup against the Bulldogs, the Aggies hope to pick up their momentum after losing their last three games.

The Aggies experienced a 0-3 start since their 2010 season. In their matchups, the Aggies fell to reestablished North Carolina Central University, the No. 1 team in Division I-FCS play, North Dakota State, and the ACC’s Duke University.

The game last week counted as the fourth consecutive loss since last season; the program’s longest losing streak since 2011.

Last Saturday, the Aggies gained a season-high of 217 yards during their matchup against Duke University.
The Aggies gave up a season-high 420 yards of offense against the Blue Devils. They are ranked 27th nationally and have the best defense in the Big South despite their 0-3 start.

With 13 carries, sophomore Bhayshul Tuten rushed for 133 yards and averaged 10.2 yards per carry for his second straight 100-yard performance. With 280 yards on 44 carries, Tuten leads the Big South in rushing. He is averaging a league-best 93.3 yards per game.

Charlie Dixon, a redshirt freshman running back, scored his first career touchdown from eight yards out in the fourth quarter. As a result, the Aggies scored their first rushing touchdown of the season.

The Aggies were led in tackles by sophomore linebacker Tyquan King. He made 13 tackles, including four unassisted and one for loss. He ranks second in tackles per game (11.33) and leads the Big South in total tackles.
Defensively, the Aggies have difficulty on third down. A total of 24 out of 36 third downs have been converted by opponents this season.

“As the first line of defense, I know we have struggled with stopping teams from passing the ball,” redshirt senior Shomari Wallace said. “Stopping the ball is the main goal and the only way for us to progress as a team.”

The South Carolina State University Bulldogs are heading into this game from a bye week 1-1. As a result of a strong performance, South Carolina State emerged victorious over SWAC’s Bethune-Cookman, 33-9, on Sept. 10. The Bulldogs’ defense forced four interceptions on the day, with junior linebacker BJ Davis leading the way with five tackles, two interceptions, and a 59-yard interception.

Red-shirt sophomore running back Kendrell Flowers led the charge on offense with 16 carries for 147-yards and two touchdowns. Junior wide receiver Shaquan Davis finished with one catch for 87-yards and a touchdown. The 87-yard touchdown pass from Corey Fields, Jr to Shaquan Davis, along with a 59-yard interception for a touchdown, sealed the 33-9 victory for the Bulldogs.

Truist Stadium will host an exciting match-up between the Aggies and Bulldogs on Saturday, Sept. 24 at 7 pm.

Fans can also cheer from home as the game will be streamed on ESPN+. To stay up to date with the Aggies football team, visit ncatathletics on Instagram.