N.C. A&T football seek second win of the season

crspyshots%2F%2FInstagram

crspyshots//Instagram

After an underwhelming 0-3 start to the 2022 season, the Aggies were able to come away with their first win on their record, defeating S.C. State by a score of 41-27.

Despite the Aggies’ slow start to the season, fans still showed up and showed out for the home opener at the electrifying Truist Stadium.

“The crowd was extremely energetic. Even with an 0-3 start, folks showed up and showed out like it was the Super Bowl,” senior business accounting student Yawseph Frimpong said.

The Aggies have another home match approaching where they’ll welcome the Bryant Bulldogs in a conference opener.

After last week’s win, three Aggies earned Big South weekly honors. Bhasyshul Tuten earned offensive player of the week. Kicker Andrew Brown earned special teams player of the week and freshman running back Wesley Graves earned freshman of the week.

Redshirt-senior quarterback Jalen Fowler will likely be the conductor of the offense this week since quarterbacks Zachary Yeager and Eli Bricklander went down with injuries in last week’s game. Fowler finished the game against S.C. State throwing 8/14 for 121 yards and two touchdown passes. He also rushed for 38 yards.

The Bryant Bulldogs have the same record as the Aggies, 1-3. They also won their first game last weekend against Long Island.

Players to watch on the Bulldogs side include star running back Ishom Byarm. Byarm leads his team in rushing yards totaling 158 yards this season and already has two rushing touchdowns this season.

In addition to Byarm, another player to look out for is wide receiver Landon Ruggieri. Although Ruggieri hasn’t gotten a receiving touchdown yet, he leads his team in receptions with 22 and leads his team in receiving yards with 272.

The Bulldogs have a very productive offense, averaging 31.8 points per game this year. On the other hand, their defense is lackluster, giving up 36.5 points per game.

The Bulldogs’ sophomore quarterback Zevi Eckhaus has an overall completion rate of 63.4 percent and averages about 260 passing yards per game.

On the other side of the ball, the Aggies currently have a top two defense in the Big South, which should come in handy when facing off against the explosive offense of the Bulldogs.

The match will likely come down to which side can be more dominant, the Bulldogs’ outstanding offense or the Aggies’ dominating defense.

Both the Aggies and the Bulldogs have something to prove considering neither team got off to a great start to start the season.

With both teams fighting for their second win of the season to try to build momentum for the remainder of the year, we’ll see which team claims victory.

To stay up to date with Aggie football visit N.C. A&T Athletics and to watch the Aggies play, streaming is available on ESPN+.