N.C A&T football captures first victory of the season

crspyshots%2F%2FInstagram
crspyshots//Instagram

After an underwhelming 0-3 start to the 2022 season, the Aggies came away with their first win on their record, defeating S.C. State by a score of 41-27.

Despite the Aggies’ slow start to the season, fans still showed up and showed out for the home opener at the electrifying Truist Stadium.

“The crowd was extremely energetic. Even with an 0-3 start, folks showed up and showed out like it was the Super Bowl,” senior business accounting student Yawseph Frimpong said.

N.C. A&T’s defense put the clamps on the Bulldogs as the Aggies held the Bulldogs to under 400 yards of total offense. The Aggies lived up to their title of the No. 1 defense in the Big South.

After the win, three Aggies earned Big South weekly honors. Sophomore running back Bhasyshul Tuten earned offensive player of the week. Sophomore kicker Andrew Brown made special teams player of the week, and freshman running back Wesley Graves earned freshman of the week.

Head coach for the Aggies, Sam Washington, believes that his team’s ability to limit S.C. State in areas they usually excel in played a massive role in the Aggie’s success.

“The key was that we could run the football; they were not. They are a run-first team; according to this paper, they had 12 yards rushing. That’s a big part of it. If you take away what most teams do best, it is challenging to be successful,” Washington said.

Redshirt senior quarterback Jalen Fowler had an efficient night and cared for the ball. Fowler finished the game against S.C. State, throwing 8/14 for 121 yards and two touchdown passes, with no interceptions. He also rushed for 38 yards.

Despite Fowler’s greatness, Tuten was the most valuable player for the Aggies. Tuten finished the match with three touchdowns and 140 yards on the ground. Coach Washington continues to praise his sophomore running back for his phenomenal play.

“He’s just a special player with all the tools and desire. It’s rare to get that combination in one player. He practices with the same effort and the same energy,” coach Washington said in a post-game press conference.

Though the Aggies are ecstatic to add a win to their record, coach Washington understands there is no time for complacency and that they still have work to do.

“One week at a time and one game at a time. We have to make sure we’re getting better as a team and be able to see the growth. We have some young guys that are developing. We have to make sure we continue to do that,” coach Washington said in a post-game press conference.

N.C. A&T look to win their second consecutive game against Bryant University next Saturday, Oct. 1, at 7:00 p.m.