The Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma still fighting for the Homeless decades after their first initiative

The Eta chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. presented “Sleep Out For the Homeless” on the campus of N.C. A&T to focus on the impact of homelessness in the Greensboro community on Feb. 9.

An honorable moment for Calvin Chadwick, the speaker at the event, was being able to see the chapter continue to give back to the community closest to it.

“It makes me feel honored to be here tonight to see the same thing I was doing, that the same thing is taking place,” Chadwick said.

Sleep out for the homeless for the Eta chapter has been able to provide for lots of individuals beginning in the 1980’s, where some of the brothers in the organization decided to sleep out to bring awareness to homelessness in the area. This became a national initiative that started with the Eta chapter on A&T’s campus.

They have been able to donate living essentials such as deodorant, sleeping bags, socks, hats, nail clippers, chapstick, food, encouraging notes and lotion. 

“We keep up with tradition, so we definitely want to keep on getting better and bringing more awareness to the homeless and increasing the impact we have on the homeless community,” said Ethen McLean, junior, Business I.T. student and member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. 

According to the Interactive Resource Center, nearly 1,000 people go to sleep homeless in Greensboro each night. This stems from an overwhelming number of people losing their jobs and homes while facing a lack of affordable housing and lack of compassion from the community.

With A&T being an historically Black college, it is full of students that come from less fortunate households that work hard to make it possible to attend school. 

From Chadwicks’ personal experience, he has been in the position of maintaining class, extra curricular activities, family, and personal life while bouncing from the homes of his friends in order to have a place to sleep.

“I was in that predicament myself, working a job, going to class, living in my car, going to somebody’s house to take a shower and do it all over, so when we talk about homeless it does hit home. So, I know what it is like to come from having nothing,” Chadwick said.

This annual event came to an abrupt pause along with the rest of the country when the covid-19 pandemic took over. The chapter was really excited to jump back in and start 2023 off right with this being an event that gives back to their community directly. 

“It feels good to bring it back, especially after the pandemic,”said Jordan Collins, senior business I.T. student. “We’ve raised almost $1,000 so far and we’re going to continue to accept donations and monetary funds.”

With “Culture for Service, and Service for Humanity” being the organization’s motto, this is a great representation of what they stand for and how they go about it. After speaking with a few of the brothers they agreed that they are stepping into 2023 on the right foot. 

Follow the Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. on Instagram for more information on upcoming events.