ATHLETE SPOTLIGHT- McRae, Todd, and Cohen shine on the field

Cierra Matthews- Contributor

For the first edition of Athlete Spotlight, three Aggies made news in athletics. Defensive back Tony McRae, wide receiver Quentin Todd and running back Tarik Cohen. These Aggies all made an impact in the 47-13 victory against Alabama A&M Bulldogs.

Tony McRae, a junior from Larinburg, NC recorded his second career kickoff return with a 95-yard run  in the MEAC/SWAC challege against Alabama A&M. His first career kickoff occured during the Aggies home opener last season against Appalachian State.

Quentin Todd, a Journalism and Mass Communications redshirt senior from Raleigh,N C was the winner of The Walter Payton Achievement Award. The award is an honor given annually to a player from each of the two universities participating in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. Todd who was behind in the beginnign of the race won the award with 51 percent of the votes. “I didn’t really expect to get it,”said Todd. “At first I was in last place, but luckily more people voted for me”. Todd said “It is such an honor to be with an amazing team”.

Tarik Cohen, a Sports Medicine sophomore from Bunn, N.C. is the reigning MEAC rookie of the year. He also was awarded the MVP for the MEAC SWAC Challenge. “Being only a sophomore, I was surprised that I got the MVP award,” Cohen said. Cohen rushed for 166 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries.Cohen scored two touchdowns in the game.“I just used my speed while the line made a hole and I just went for it,”said Cohen.

Although it is a very talented team, they could not be as elite with out Head Coach Rod Broadway.“He works us very hard,” Cohen said. “Even though he makes us work, it makes it worth it in the long run”.

With the first home  game quickly approaching the team is expecting another big win.

“You can’t expect anything but wins,what is losing?” Todd said.

For more information contact Cierra Matthews @[email protected] or follow her at @Cierramatt.