Lady Aggies win battle against Navy

Janay Boone- Sports Editor

In a hard fought battle, the North Carolina A&T women’s basketball team came from behind to get a win over Navy University  52-47 in the season opener.

The Lady Aggies (1-0) recovered from a 28-22 halftime deficit and left Navy scoreless for eight minutes in the second half.

This was the Midshipmen’s first loss of the season. The Lady Midshipmen went 7-for-14 behind the arc and ended the first half shooting 50 percent.

The Aggies held a 20-17 lead late in the first half until Navy’s Justice Swett made a three-point field goal to end the first half with a 9-2 run and a 28-22 lead at the half.

At the start of the second half, the Midshipmens Haley Unger stretched the Mids’ lead to 35-26 with less than 16 minutes to go with a lay up from Navy’s Hannah Fenske.

A scoring drought by Navy allowed N.C. A&T’s Adriana Nazario to make a steal and a layup to use an 11-0 run to regain the lead 37-35.

The Lady Aggies continued its second  half surge by building a five-point lead at 44-39 with just over five minutes left to play.

That did not pester the Mids as they regained the lead after an N.C. A&T turnover to give them a 45-44 edge over the Aggies with just 3:12 remaining in the contest.

The Aggies guard Ariel Bursey started off the back and forth scoring with a 3-pointer but just seconds later but Danielle Poblarp tied the game at 47.

Navy turned the ball over to the Aggies with 10 seconds remaining, with Fenske immediately fouling Christina Carter.

The Aggies tallied the last five points of the game to stave off the Mids 52-47. Redshirt-junior Aprill McRae led all scorers on the Aggies roster with 12 points and 5 rebounds. McRae also went 6-for-8 from the free throw line.

The Aggies overall shot 80 percent from the line.

In her debut for N.C. A&T, freshman Kala Green scored 8 points and 3 steals in just 14 minutes of play. Green was perfect from the field going 3-for-3 and went 2-for-2 from the line.

“She played very well for us. Coming in we knew she would catch on to our style of play offensively and defensively,” said Head Coach Tarrell Robinson.

Eboni Ross added eight points and a game-high nine rebounds followed by Carter, who finished with seven points and a game-high of seven steals.

“We were able to hold Navy to 47 points. I think we need to get a little better offensively. Create some more wide open shot for our bigs,” said Robinson.

The Lady Aggies will take on UNC Asheville on Tuesday, Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. at Corbett Sports Center.

—Email Janay at jlboone@
aggies.ncat.edu and follow her on Twitter @Ayo_IsThatBoone