Couponing 101

Everyone knows that couponers have been taking the world by storm since the hit show “Extreme Couponing” had its debut on TLC April 2, 2011. If you’ve never seen the show, it features couponers all over the world exhibiting their couponing techniques and rituals. They explain their system in which they organize their coupons and also give a tour of their stockpile room.

A stockpile is where couponers store all their goods that they purchased for free or nearly free. It’s somewhat like their personal grocery store. Some couponers have their stockpile in their basements, garages, and spare bedrooms.

Most of the couponers on the show have children and were forced into couponing due to a financial situation. However, some couponers donate most of their items to the less fortunate or to our troops overseas. I think donating goods that you paid hardly anything for is a great way to give back. Instead of purchasing a lot of items that you don’t need, it would be better to donate them to someone who can actually use them.

I am proud to say that I am a couponer. Couponing has no age limit. I think it is an excellent hobby to pick up at any age. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t like to save money? Couponing is a hobby that can save you money and make you more responsible in preparation for the real world. It is an excellent hobby for a college student to start. We are some of the most financially challenged people in the United States. As students we should try to save money anywhere we can because every little bit helps.

If you’re interested in saving money and think that couponing is a hobby that you would like to pick up, here are 5 helpful tips that can aid you in your new couponing journey, courtesy of YippeeCoupons.com.

1. Organize. Get a binder and baseball card protector inserts or an accordion file for your coupons. When you’re organized it’s a lot easier to access certain coupons quickly.

2. Don’t limit yourself to newspapers. There are coupons everywhere. You can find coupons online; websites like coupons.com, smartsource.com and redplum.com have tons of coupons you can print for free. All you magazine is sold at Wal-Mart and caters to couponers. You can also go to some company websites and print coupons. If they do not offer any don’t be afraid to email them and ask for coupons. Certain grocery stores also give you catalina coupons which are printed at the register after your checkout.

3. Bloggers can help you! If you have questions about anything or want to know if an item is on sale there are numerous coupon blogs that post new coupons, coupon matchups and sales at certain stores.

4. Double coupons. This is how you get more bangs for your buck. Many stores such as Harris Teeter, Lowes Food, and Bi-Lo will double coupons up to 99 cent. Therefore, if you have a coupon that is 75 cent off Heinz ketchup, the coupon will double to $1.50. This double couponing method can result in free items if the item is on sale.

5. There are coupons for EVERYTHING! Many people think coupons are only for grocery items and household products but there are coupons for everything. Manufacturers release coupons for various products such as school supplies, furniture and clothing. Restaurant coupons are also very popular. Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Lone Star, Coldstone, and Baskin Robbins release coupons in the Sunday paper once a month.

I interviewed Brittany Rush, a cashier at Bi-Lo in Pineville, NC. She shared with me some of her experiences with couponers at work. I asked her about the coupon policy at Bi-Lo. The coupon policy is that customers may use in-store coupons and manufacturer coupons.

Both forms of coupons will double any amount up to 99 cent. Brittany revealed to me her insight on couponers. She talked about how often she has couponers come through her line on a day to day basis. I asked her how many coupons she estimated she received in a day. She said she scanned approximately 60-75 coupons in one day. Brittany said she has to be very patient when she notices a couponer coming through her line because they can be very particular about the process of ringing up all of their merchandise and scanning their coupons. I asked her about her most memorable couponer that she encountered. She told me about her experience with a woman who purchased an entire shopping cart full of sports drinks and only paid $2.00 for them. She said that was a customer she will always remember because she paid hardly anything for her entire shopping order.

Couponing has made its imprint and is here to stay. People all over the world are saving money on a daily basis by simply clipping coupons. Some of your friends and family members may secretly be couponers. If you have been experiencing money problems, don’t have enough money to spend on groceries, or just want to begin a new hobby, couponing is for you. It takes a lot of time and dedication but the results can be extremely rewarding.

• Kayla McLaughlin, Contributor