ATHLETE SPOTLIGHT- Mattocks and Quick set records

Janay Boone- Sports Editor

Donald Mattocks and Kwashaun Quick shined on the football field this weekend against the Chowan Hawks.The Aggies rolled past the Hawks 59-0.

Fifth- year senior Donald Mattocks won MEAC Defensive Player of the Week honors. Mattocks intercepted three first-half Chowan passes and returned them for a total of 80 yards. He would have returned one of his three interceptions in the second quarter before it was called back for excessive celebration.

Mattocks leads the nation in interceptions per game (1.3) and have five INTs on the season. Mattocks (5-8, 178, Burlington, N.C., Eastern Alamance) is in his first season as a starter after serving mainly on special teams and as a reserve. A&T leads the nation in interceptions with 10.

Kwashaun Quick, a junior from Laurinburg, N.C. put on a show finishing the game 15 of 21 for 215 yards. Quick’s’ completions, percentage (.714), and passing yards were all career highs. His 55-yard touchdown pass to Xavier Griffin was the longest completion of his career.

This was the third time this season he has rushed for more than 80 yards in a game. Quick stunned the competition by connecting with 10 different Aggie receivers and rushed for 82 yards and one touchdown on seven carries.

— Email Janay at @jlboone@
aggies.ncat.edu and follow her on Twitter
@Ayo_IsThatBoone