Aggie Golf Team Coming to N.C. A&T Soon

The Aggies will begin their women’s golf program in
Fall 2016 and the men’s first season in 2017.

This is the first-ever men’s and women’s varsity golf team at North Carolina A&T State University.

The Aggies have now selected a home golf course, Bryan Park Golf Course.

The announcement was made, last week by the Men’s and Women’s head coach, Rich Watkins.

Watkins was named head coach for both men’s and women’s team as of July.

“Bryan Park is a tremen- dous golf facility” Watkins explained. Bryan Park is an 18-hole, par-72 and consists of 7,135 yards of golf from Bermuda grass surface.

The Players course is 7,078 yards of 18-hole, par 72- golf with a Bermuda rough.

This Golf Course also serves as the home facil-
ity for UNC Greensboro, it also facilitated the 2010 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship.

This Course has been awarded recently for the prestigious 4-star ranking in Golf Digest’s Best Places to Play Guide.

The Aggies have unlimited access to the driving range Monday- Saturday and unlimited access to the actual course Monday-Thursday.

According to Watkins, this course has 36 challenging holes. It has hosted collegiate tournaments, USGA and pro- fessional events. “It is an im- portant step four our programs to have a venue like Bryan Park to call out home course.”

Watkins included that his next step is to use the Gillespie Golf Course on 306 E. Florida St. in Greensboro in order to have as a practice facility.

Watkins wants a space in proximity of campus where the golfers can hit golf balls and practice certain shots. The long-awaited wish is now coming into place for North Carolina A&T athlet- ics and supporters.

Alexis Wainwright – Sports Editor

—Email Alexis at awainwri@ aggies.ncat.edu and follow her on Twitter @MultiplexReport