Eagles Soar Over Aggies

A double-double performance and strong display of defense led the North Carolina Central University’s volleyball team to a 3-0 victory over heated rivals North Carolina A&T State University.

The Aggies (2-7, 0-1 MEAC) have lost the last two matches against the Lady Eagles. Samara Brown and Brooke Stamnes led the game with eight kills each. Senior Aleena McDaniel had a great performance with seven kills on 16 attempts, while freshman Keniah Rivera added 14 digs.

NCCU (2-15 Overall, 1-0 MEAC) posted a season-high in digs and blocks in a threeset match rolling to the 25-17, 25-21, 25-20 win.

NCCU went on a 4-0 run during Kelly Rossip’s service rotation to double up the Aggies early at 8-4.

The Lady Eagles stayed ahead from that point and six Rossip kills in the frame coasted the hosts to the eightpoint triumph. NCCU’s attack was sizzling with 12 kills and a .276 hitting percentage.

The Lady Aggies kept the middle set the closest, as it was their only set that had more kills than hitting errors. N.C. A&T was at its best in the second set as Marteen Hill tied the set at 15 with a kill from Liz Martino.

There were 11 ties until NCCU broke the final deadlock at 15-15 with a 6-0 run that featured two kills by Murphy and a spike by freshman Whitney White. N.C. A&T kept fighting but kills by Shipman and Rossip finished off the three-point set in favor of the Maroon and Gray.

After trading points early, another kill by White put the Lady Eagles ahead for good at 10-9. The Aggies were down by one point at 16-15. N.C. A&T appeared poised to take the match to a fourth set as the Aggies cut the Eagles lead to 21-20.

But the Aggies momentum was stopped by a service error followed by an attack error. A kill by Murphy followed by another Aggies error closed out both the set and the match with a 4-0 spurt.

Murphy led the Eagles with 15 kills and 10 digs, while Kelly Rossip had 10 kills.

NCCU will wrap up its three-match MEAC homestand hosting South Carolina State University and Savannah State University this weekend.

The Lady Aggies return to action next week when they host Savannah State at Moore Gymnasium on Friday, Oct. 2nd at 7 p.m.

Two days later the Aggies welcome S.C. State to Moore for a 2 p.m., Oct. 4th match.

Janay Boone – Managing Editor

—Email Janay at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ Ayo_IsThatBoone