Fashion vs Style

By Douglas H. Lewis II

Contributor 

It’s no secret that the students here at A&T love fashion. We see it every day on our way to class. The campus is literally a walking runway. You know the routine. As soon as refund checks drop, after we (hopefully) buy our books, we open up a new tab on our computers and head right over to ASOS, Topshop, or Urban Outfitters.com & seek out the latest and greatest of trends to “slay” our counterparts. Recently I have been delving deep into the latest trends in winter coats. I love the dynamic world of fashion, but the cycle of it all can be very tiring. Like Heidi Klum always says, “One day you’re in, one day you’re out.”

Has anyone’s grandma ever told them, “Don’t spend all your money on a whole bunch of clothes you can’t wear in the next few months!” Well mine has. I thought she just didn’t like me spending all my money on clothes, but now I’ve found the solution. Style will carry you from season to season, Spring/Summer to Autumn/Winter, with a sense of calm knowing that you don’t really need to keep up with the latest fads. If you have style, you don’t have to keep shopping every season to keep up with the Joneses. If you are truly stylish, you can recycle great pieces from your closet and create a new look every day that is unique to you.

We all know that one person who has that famous YSL quote, “Fashions fade, style is eternal” in their Instagram bio. Well, that quote – overused as it may be – is so very true. One’s personal style, in my opinion, is unique to them, something no-one can take from you, and what ultimately sets you apart from everyone else. In an effort to generate more of a sense of style on A&T’s campus, I have compiled a list of tips on how to develop your style a bit more to make it more personal and unique to you.

1. Find out what YOU like.

1. Never compromise your taste.

1. Buy less, choose well.

1. Know the composition of your clothing.

1. Fitting is Everything!

1. Do your research on the designer.

1. Become best friends with your tailor/seamstress.

1. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn’t mean you have to.

1. Always think, “what will make me stand out from the other person?”

In retrospect, style and fashion are two very different things. They are very much related, but very different. Someone who is truly stylish picks from the fashions of today to accommodate their own personal style to curate a look that no-one has ever seen before. The late great editor-in-chief of American Vogue, Diana Vreeland once said, “You gotta have style. It helps you get down the stairs. It helps you get up in the morning. It’s a way of life. Without it, you’re nobody, and I’m not talking about a lot of clothes.”

For more style stories check out www.LewisandBull.com. J. Bull & myself focus on advancing personal style and promoting rising brands to a global audience! If you have any people or brands you wish to feature on our site, feel free to shoot us an e-mail at [email protected].