Aggie entrepreneur stars body positives business by: Chasyn Carter

Kaylan Winters, a junior secondary history education student from Washington D.C., has garnered much success on campus lately with her business known as Waistbeads Poppin’.

The handmade jewelry is made by Winters hersel, and is made to fit the customer’s body. Winters is a strong believer in her business’ motto “love every bead that hugs your body.”

“I created Waistbeads Poppin’ out of a hobby. I love arts & crafts and I love my culture. I put the two together and made a product,” Winters said. “I grew up in a very Afrocentric environment. Waistbeads are very important rites of passage for women in Western and Central Africa.”

In April 2017, the concept for Waistbeads Poppin’ was born in a room inside of Holland Hall on the campus of North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University.

The main purpose behind Winters business is to encourage Black women of all shapes and sizes to love the skin they’re in. With her product, Winters wants her customers to embrace their “femininity as they connect to Black culture.”

Waistbeads Poppin’ offers various types of body jewelry, such as; waistbeads, anklets, and bracelets that can be ordered custom made for $7.

Winters admits that being a full-time student with a business can be tough. She believes that even though it feels good to own your own business, it can become an extremely overwhelming balancing act.

Nevertheless, Winters is persistent in her business endeavors, and studies consistently, no matter the challenges she faces.

“Everybody has different schedules and financial priorities get in the way of things, but regardless, I never let the hard times get the best of me. Anything worth keeping requires hard work, and I’m putting in the hard work,” said Winters.

The young business’ biggest triumph so far has been securing a spot in the first Aggie Market Friday of the school year last month. The event was the first public one for Waistbeads Poppin’. Winters and her business placed around 60 orders from excited patrons that day. Winters was very grateful for the experience to give her business, even more, exposure on campus.

This early and fast expansion of business is impressive and timely for Winters, who hopes to expand into a storefront and with employees in the near future. Currently, Winters averages about 10 to 15 Waistbead orders a month.

While the quick build in business is great for Winters, the popularity of her business is notably bringing her Black girl joy.

“People actually like my product. It feels good to have people stop me on campus and refer to me as “the waistbead girl,” said Winters.

Winters has created a venture that is rooted in her a multitude of her own principles and beliefs. She has turned an idea that began as a simple concept a few months ago into a full-fledged business. Waistbeads Poppin is not only a business on the rise but one to be reckoned with as well.

For more information on Winters and order inquiries, follow @Waistbeadspoppin on Instagram and Twitter. To set a consultation with Winters, e-mail, [email protected]