New Abstinence Club sparks interests in students

N.C. A&T sophomore criminal justice student, Jayla Richardson is starting an abstinence club on campus called Abstinent Aggies.

Abstinent Aggies will be amongst the several unique clubs that connect students to each other.

The purpose of this club is to raise awareness of the many benefits practicing abstinence can have on a student’s personal, and social life, and well-being.

“It is essential that students know that purity in any form is possible,” Richardson said. “I didn’t always practice abstinence, but when I did, I noticed the positive effects it had on my mental, physical, and emotional health.”

N.C. A&T Student Center medical director, Dr. Doolittle believes practicing abstinence is the best form of birth control.

“The idea of a club like this would be a great support system and would be beneficial to those who have decided that this kind of lifestyle is good for them,” Doolittle said.

According to freshman bioengineering student Christian Kakou, students on campus do not have the self-control to participate in abstinence.

“I don’t think people have enough restraint to practice abstinence,” Kakou said.

Freshman public relations student Chandler Harris believes this club will help people understand their partners on a deeper level.

“Abstinence allows you to develop more meaningful, intimate connections with your partner,” Harris continued. “It’s crucial to get to know your partner emotionally rather than physically for a lasting relationship.’’

Richardson wants people to know that being different is okay and to believe in what you do.

With goals for community outreach, members of the Abstinent Aggies will host social events for interested students, conduct informational seminars to educate and encourage abstinence, and attend abstinence conventions in the surrounding area.

“I hope to draw people in by being an infectious group,” Richardson said. “People all over soon will be able to attest to how this organization is making a real difference on this campus.”

After graduation, Richardson plans on becoming a criminal defense attorney as a full-time job, while continuing to serve as an advocate for those wanting to achieve the milestone of abstinence.
The Abstinent Aggies will host their next meeting on Oct. 6, 2022.