False Start for TLC Album

TLC made a comeback in 2013 with the premiere of their TV biopic, CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story. The social media world was very pleased with the fi lm, as it received high praises from fans and celebrities alike.

The fi lm defi nitely reminded people of why TLC is still to this day the highest selling girl group in the United States (in album sales). Following the success of the film, TLC did the smart thing and rode the wave to fame by releasing 20, a compilation album celebrating the group’s 20 years in the industry.

They had three of their albums chart on the Billboard 200 after the biopic’s premiere, performed Waterfalls at the 2013 American Music Awards and Dancing with the Stars, and also preformed at VH1’s Super Bowl Concert Series in 2014.

With their fans remaining loyal and eager for more, TLC announced this past January that they will be releasing their last album. Since they did not want to release the album through a label, they created a Kickstarter campaign which allowed their fans to donate to the project.

TLC campaigned to raise $150,000 to cover the cost of creating the album, and ended up raising $400,000 by the end of the 30-day campaign. Among those that donated were Katy Perry, New Kids on The Block, Soulja Boy, Bette Midler, and Justin Timberlake. That’s great news right?

Well not exactly. The album was supposed to be completed and released by the end of 2015, however TLC recently announced that the album would not be released until 2016.

They also announced that in 2016 they would be going on their own tour. However, fans seemed to be losing interest.

Since yesterday evening, disgruntled fans have been expressing their disappointment over their long awaited album by starting the #TLCGoingToJailParty, a hashtag that has turned the album-less situation into a humorous “party” where Ciara, Keri Hilson, and Keyshia Cole sell fish dinners outside of the venue, Mary J. Blige is “MJ bopping” to Creep, and Foxy Brown tears down the stage.

In all seriousness the memes are funny, but I’m sure an album is coming. If you donated money please don’t hop on Twitter asking Chili and T-Boz about your five dollars! Turn up some TLC classics and anticipate the magic they’ve been serving since the 90’s. I mean when has TLC failed to slay the music the game?

In due time, and with a little patience, I am sure the album will be worth the wait. I’m more eager to learn about the potential collaborations that may come from this project.

TLC is a legendary group. Any smart new artist would take this opportunity to get involved.

Brianna Bazemore – Entertainment Reporter