Thrive Women’s Empowerment Continues To Make A Change

Photo Courtesy of Thrive Women’s Empowement

After realizing many women of color were in need of professional development opportunities, N.C. A&T alumna Aliyah Crump decided to take matters into her own hands and create an opportunity to provide these young women with the necessary tools to be successful. 

Thrive Women’s Empowerment is a nonprofit organization that provides women with multiple opportunities and experiences in different aspects of professionalism.

“I created Thrive Women’s Empowerment Inc. to better help prepare women of color to achieve their professional goals through mentorship, professional development programming, and community service,” Crump said. 

Through the nonprofit, undergraduate women are paired with mentors that are professionals in their careers.

Currently, the organization serves undergraduate women at N.C. A&T, Bennett College, Winston-Salem State University, and North Carolina Central University.

“I realized that more women of color deserved to have the opportunity to be professionally

mentored and more prepared for life after college,” Crump said.  

Evanna Evans has been a mentor for three years and engagement coordinator for a few months with Thrive Women’s Empowerment and appreciates the role she plays in the organization.

“Being a mentor makes me happy,” Evans said. “My mentees’ success is my success. The feeling of knowing that I’m helping someone move towards accomplishing their goals and making a difference in someone’s life is indescribable.”

Thrive continues to give back to the students in the community through a scholarship program called Go Boldly Scholarship which provides $1,000 and an internship to the recipient. 

Imani Caldwell was the 2020 recipient of the Go Boldly Scholarship. Her involvement in Thrive Women’s Empowerment has allowed her to find a community to lean on and seek guidance.

“Thrive helped me in my transition to post-undergraduate life by helping me to outline my goals and create realistic plans to follow them,” Caldwell said. “I was also provided with an incredible professional network to lean on for career advice, guidance, and references.”

Paige Michals, who began as a mentee in the organization, is now a senior computer science student and currently serves as a mentor for Thrive. Michals also supports the recruitment process. 

“One of the biggest lessons from my mentor was to prioritize myself through all the madness,” Michals said. “My mentor, Aliyah, really stressed the importance of taking care of myself.”

To foster teamwork and a safe community, Thrive also works to plan and have activities aimed at bringing the participants closer together. 

“I enjoy when we have our virtual girl talks, especially because we’re in different places geographically,” Evans said. “We get on zoom and chat and enjoy each other’s company. We also have in-person bonding events such as skating and candle making.” 

Thrive has made a community for women to work professionally with like-minded people and help when others lose focus on their future. 

To continue following their journey, follow their Instagram page.