Being Bradford Brooks

“I’m just a kid a from Charlotte with a dream”, said Bradford Brooks, graduating senior journalism and mass communications student.

Growing up in a two-parent household Brooks was reared to be humble, driven and courageous. His parents always pushed and motivated him to achieve his dreams and what better place to do that than at N.C. A&T.

Many of his family members are alumnus including his father and more than 10 other relatives, by witnessing “Aggie Pride” as a child it inspired him to achieve greatness when he first stepped foot on campus.

Going into college, Brooks main goals were to build a foundation and to make his mark on N.C. A&T’s campus.

He has been an active member of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) and the Young Black Leadership Alliance. He is the vice president of Village Mentoring program, sports anchor for Aggie News & Views, a host on 3rd n 30 podcast, host of his own podcast “Good Taste, Bad Grammar”, and a contributor for theScore section of the A&T Register.

“First, the promise I made to my parents of graduating from college. Second, the passing of my mom. She was someone who was extremely proud of me and extremely supportive. If she didn’t quit through her battle, when she was battling her disease, then I can’t quit through my pursuits of chasing my dreams and ambitions,” said Brooks.

“Third, myself, I have a certain lifestyle that I want to live. I didn’t come from the worst of circumstances but I damn sure didn’t come from the best and I want to be in a position where I’m happy.”

Immediately after college Brooks plans to join the workforce. He eventually wants to work in the sports broadcasting industry. He also hopes to receive his MBA, start a nonprofit in memory of his mother, continue his ongoing individual podcast.

Throughout the years, Brooks has learned a lot, and he encourages rising seniors to know that it’s never too late to start.

“You gotta remember that life is a journey. Sometimes we can get upset and envious of things we see from other people, things don’t happen overnight. So, be open to meeting a variety of people, be a sponge, and get the most out of your college experience.”

The wisdom that Brooks has acquired is not only due to his own personal endeavors but to the adventures that come with being a Crosby Kid (journalism and mass communication students). Crosby has been very helpful in the development of him as a professional and he encourages other Crosby Kids to just “do it all’.

Being a journalism student can be a task. However, there are often misconceptions about the department and the main one being that it is easy. Brooks believes that those who think it is “easy” is what separates the ones who are really dedicated and focused from those who aren’t.

Brooks begins his day with five top essentials;  his cell phone, a yellow wristband that he wears in support of his mother and his friend Delaney Vandergrift, a hairbrush, a gallon of water, and nice shoes.

At the end of the day, Brooks is more than a journalism student. He likes chocolate chip cookies, peach cobbler, J. Cole, and Cam Newton. He prefers football on Thanksgiving rather than basketball on Christmas and puts Penny Hardaway, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kevin Garnett, and Shaq on his starting five.

He is someone who fears to become a statistic and confining to what society wants him to be and believes, Brooks admits to being his own biggest obstacle.

Brooks lives by the quote, “you don’t have to be great to start but you have to start to be great.”

And as the curtain closes on this chapter of his life so he can walk across the stage into another, he will continue being great and stand on his principles and can leave knowing that he made an impact, left his mark, and made his mom, friends, family, professors, and so many others proud.

“I want people to remember that I was authentic, I was myself. I want them to say that he was driven, he was a hard worker… I was 100% real. I wasn’t scared.”

And I can assure you that people will remember him as just that.

So, for those who might say he left them feeling encouraged when he spoke kind words and whispered how ambitious Brooks was by completing so many projects.

I say, that he was just being Bradford Brooks.